National Volunteering Strategy Consultation Released
Federal Minister for Social Inclusion Tanya Plibersek has released the National Volunteering Strategy Consultation, which found that volunteers have a growing preference for online volunteering and more young people want to get involved.
The report polled more than 800 volunteering groups, finding that traditional forms of volunteering remained popular but new forms of participation were emerging and needed to be accommodated.
The report will inform the National Volunteering Strategy, which the Australian Government plans to release later in 2011.
The strategy will outline the Government’s vision for volunteering over the next 10 years and will provide a framework which encourages volunteering.
Ms Plibersek also announced the membership of a new Volunteer Advisory Group, which will provide advice to the Government.
Members of the council include:
- Sue Vardon AO (Chair), Member of the Australian Red Cross Board, former Chief Executive at the Department for Families and Communities (SA) and former Chief Executive Officer of Centrelink
- Margaret Bell AM, President of the Chain Reaction Foundation
- Dimity Fifer, Chief Executive Officer of Australian Volunteers International
- Andrew Coghlan, Chair of the Australian Emergency Management Volunteers Forum
- Doug Taylor, Chief Executive Officer of United Way
- Cary Pedicini, Chief Executive Officer of Volunteering Australia
- Julie Pettett, Consultant at the Conservations Councils of Australia
- James Demetriou, Executive Officer of Sports Without Borders
- Ronni Kahn, Founder of OzHarvest
- Belinda Ding, National Youth Manger, St John Ambulance Australia
No related posts.