You are currently not logged in

Log in
Subscribe
x

SUBSCRIBE
FREE NEWS BRIEFS Get breaking news delivered

Sharobeem to return to ICAC probe

“They managed to kill my soul, kill my body.”

Former Sydney charity boss Eman Sharobeem is expected to return to a corruption inquiry after an ex-colleague rebuffed her suspicion of being framed for fraud.

The 54-year-old underwent a grilling at the Independent Commission Against Corruption last month amid allegations she rorted more than $600,000.

She is accused of fraudulently claiming reimbursements for personal expenses while heading the immigrant Women’s Health Service and the Non-English Speaking House Women’s Scheme.

Nevine Ghaly, who worked for Sharobeem, appeared at the Sydney hearing on Wednesday and rejected claims she was “the brains” behind the supposed conspiracy to frame her ex-boss.

Sharobeem, a former Australian of the year state finalist, is adamant her staff deliberately reimbursed a range of personal expenses including three of her water bills.

On what was expected to be her final day of examination last month, she was told she would have to return to give further evidence for “a very short time”.

Having likened the questioning to torture and a breach of human rights, Sharobeem pleaded with Acting Commissioner Reginald Blanch for the process to stop.

“They managed to kill my soul, kill my body,” she said at the time.

No comments | be the first to comment

Comment Manually

Read more

Poll

Are more reports on the NFP sector needed?
x

SUBSCRIBE
FREE NEWS BRIEFS Get breaking news delivered